My Dogs are Minimalist Gods

Posted on Updated on

When I need some inspiration on my road to minimalism, I look to my dogs.   If you have dogs you’ll know what I mean.  They are everything.  All inclusive beings, without owning anything.  They don’t own any material things willingly.  They may have one favorite toy or bone, but those didn’t come with a title or proof of ownership.   Maybe one thing.  Everything else they have we humans  have pushed onto them.   You know like the collars, tags, leashes, sweaters, Halloween costumes, you get my drift.

( who says “drift” without the word snow next to it ?)

Batman pretending to read the paper & Ice

Dogs are super Gods.  Not only because they are minimalist but also because they have  mastered their general day to day existence in life.   Everyday they wake up and it’s the best f*cking day of their lives.  They are ecstatic to see you are still with them and eager to eat their gruel-in-a-bowl.  They play, they run and when they tire they slip in to a deep slumber.

When they wake up or when you come home, it’s like the very best f*cking day in their lives, again.  You are back, and they are eternally grateful.  Their tails give them away,wag wag wag wag.  So dogs actual get two days out of one without much effort, and they are happy about it.  I don’t think there is a day they don’t love.  Every day is great!  Wow, they are super beings!

Beyond the basics;  air, water,  food and shelter,  the only true possession a dog  need is love.

What’s not to learn from that?

Tip: Wag more Bark less

Inspiration: “Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.”- Henry David Thoreau

One day one thing:  Sorting my pets’ bins (cats and dogs) and donating to local animal rescue.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “My Dogs are Minimalist Gods

Sheila said:
    September 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hey you!! ME TOO. Been working on it since I got married and it was hard, but….Both of us have sold some and given away ALOT in this last 9 months. We both went from 3 and 4 bedroom homes to our “First” home of 90sqft….choking…lol

We bought a house here in Port Charlotte Fl that is 1067sqft. We now have to get rid of the BIG furniture and slowly going to more quaint stuff.

I finally convinced my hubby that we could get rid of cable TV. Its all such a waste of money when you aren’t watching 24/7. So we have lost cable down here and moved to a long range digital antenna. we have 30 channels, plus Netflix and Hullu. You know? All I do now is watch the breaking news on interenet.

Keep going girl. it really is getting better for George and I.

And your right about the pupps. My Sophie just needs US and Food and her Beloved Ball

MsRat responded:
      September 26, 2011 at 11:07 am

Wow , Shelia You really have some experience in this, 90sqft. !!!! (how did you do that?) It is a huge job as you know, but it feels so great. Thanks for reading and your comments…stay tuned I have a long way to go.
      If you ever want to write a guest post..let me know I am sure you have tons of insight.

bridget said:
    September 26, 2011 at 10:40 am

Again I love your thoughts. As I read this I also realized I’m living my life as the dogs. I am too so f*ing happy daily. I am always so grateful for each day. :)

MsRat responded:
      September 26, 2011 at 11:12 am

I try…it’s easier everyday. :)

anon said:
    October 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

this write up brought tears to my eyes but in a good way.
    as a former pug owner i had the joy of seeing life through her eyes and all you said is true and more. some of the larger dogs in the neighborhood would pass by (usually to flirt with her!) and absolutely nothing bothered her. she was never intimidated. had her few little doggie friends and us and was always happy.
    we didn’t learn at first that she too only cared about one or two toys. as long as she had a snack, her food, a leg or lap to lay on and a spot in our bed at night, all was good. she’d laugh at the sweaters we bought for her and run under the bed to make them go away-never mind that her fat little butt was sticking out when she hid.
    many thanks for those bittersweet memories that we treasure and learned from. yes, she too was a true minimalist with her priorities firmly in place.

MsRat responded:
      October 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Anon – I appreciate your comment and can completely relate. The word “former” makes me sad, I’ve had used that word. But what lives on and on is the love we have for our pet(s) who are gone. Nothing can take that away. Nothing. Love is incredible.

And of course, love doesn’t take up any space. :)
      Enjoy your day. Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to share your thoughts..

It’s a S.H.E.L.L. Fund « unpack the rat said:
    December 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm

[…] a breeder and never suffered one day of their lives; pampered and loved, spoiled almost rotten. They are minimalist Gods. Ice and […]