We all are aware that the media has taken all the good of the Baltimore protests and turn it into the destruction of the Baltimore riots! I ask everyone to counter this misrepresentation by posting of peaceful photos of demands for justice. Do it anywhere and everywhere you can. Thank you and spread the word!
How’s that for a commitment? Not too forceful, and probably not anything anyone would believe but myself. I have had a great many days to figure out just how I want to live my life, and that’s a good thing because while thinking about it I WAS living my life.
I’ve got it down to a few simple goals, simple in that they are all things that I can control should I choose to. Not simple at all to do. That takes discipline. I never like that word. Discipline. Sounds too hard. Discipline is what great athletes have, you know, the ones that make it, and say they practiced everyday of their lives since they could walk. Yuck! I would be too bored to have done that.
But now, in my wisdom, I understand that discipline is just another way of saying do what you like, often, and always, and don’t stray. It means do all the things that you need to do to reach or achieve your goal. It means line up everything in favor of what you want. It means focus. Focus hard. It also means filter. You have to filter out the distractions. Whether these distractions are internal, as in your mind – your thoughts, or external as in everything and everyone in the whole dang world. Filtering and focus are both at your disposal, and they are the best f*cking tools you’ll every know.
Oh don’t forget belief, self-confidence. You have to, have to, believe that you can do whatever it is you want. I don’t care one bit if it is a realistic goal or not. Judging your goal is a major distraction. Don’t do it…and never let anyone else do it (judge your goal) for you!
Discipline, focus, filter and believe. The keys to everything.
Please add any other keys in the comment section below.
It’s a great day! Enjoy.
The other day, I stumbled onto this little known non-profit it’s called,”because I said I would” The premise behind the concept is that when people are true to their word and follow through on their promises and commitments the world becomes a better place. I tend to agree. Also the action of writing your promise down on paper really can solidify your commitment. I found the “because I said I would” concept completely complimentary with my Dad’s mantra “be true to yourself”, which is now how I live.
Rewind back to last year when we struggled to raise funds for our dog, Batman’s, wheelchair. It was during that process I really understood how difficult it is to raise funds after you have tapped out your resources. So I promised myself that I would donate once a month to a cause. Not to a huge corporate fundraising machine, but rather to an individual or a family. (In my mind someone that’s who really needs it and I know the money goes directly to their fund, a win-win)
I wasn’t sure how I could keep this commitment because money is so very tight. I had to come up with an amount that I could handle regardless of what other emergency pops up, and they pop up all the freakin’ time so I settled on ten dollars. How could I remember to give ten dollars? My answer; ten on the tenth.
So here you have my first “because I said I would.” 10 dollars every tenth of the month to a fundraiser on youcaring.com. ( a free fundraising site)
What will you do because you said you would?
So many times we think of the new year as the starting line. The moment in time when we are going to get our shit together and make a real difference in the time we spend here on earth. How silly is that? I mean so many years I have considered the New Year as the day of change. I waited for that very date to start, to be better, then over the weeks I stop, and I usually failed.
This new year is different. No, really it is. Why? or How? you ask. I’m about to tell you.
Here’s the thing. Every second we have the power to change. But we get lazy, we become out of tune with ourselves and many times just completely over powered by circumstance we do not control. We listen to those who do not have our best interests at heart. We follow ideals that are impossible to achieve. And we worship the wrong gods. This is what has to end. We can only be led to follow the wrong direction if we stop paying attention to ourselves.
It’s all about personal awareness. It’s all about keeping the life you want forefront in you thoughts and actions. Its about really making what you want into a priority. Not only on January first, but during every second of you life.
Now I am not saying this is easy, heck no. If it was easy I certainly would have mastered it by now. It’s not easy. For some reason, however, this time, I don’t see my life as drive, guts, or ambition. I do not criticize myself based on achievements or willpower or anything thing like that. All I see as real is awareness. Be aware. Recognize your thoughts and change them to align with who you want to be. Identify your feelings and process them. Calibrate your actions to fall in line with your life and only your life.
Everything will fall in place if you remain aware. Get ready to be amazed and enjoy!
The Eight Qualities of Success
- Harmony is when there is complete agreement between what you think, say and do.
- Balance is the reward of harmony; it is when you are most calm and content because there is no disconnect between your thoughts, words and actions.
- Courage. Is the ability to make choices that bring harmony and balance. Courage is not always about action. It takes courage to do nothing, rather than do something that you do not believe in or understand.
- Generosity. True generosity is an offering; given freely and out of pure love. No strings attached. No expectations. Time and love are the most valuable possession you can share.
- Happiness: bubbles up when the first four qualities are in abundance. Happiness is not a luxury. It is a necessity. When we are happy we are in the best possible place to be good to ourselves and those we love.
- Wisdom: is the ability to make the right decisions at the right time. Wisdom alerts you when you are out of balance or having trouble summoning courage. It is your inner voice guiding you through and past the noise.
- Cleanliness: When there is clarity and organization in your thoughts and your physical space you can more easily access the inner wisdom and courage that makes harmony and balance achievable.
- Beauty is what you possess when you incorporate the seven preceding qualities into your life.